Tuesday 22 July 2014

Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes


Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes is a fantastic, intense, gripping, compelling and harrowing psychological thriller and I for one really enjoyed this page turning novel and found it quite hard to put down as I had to know what would happen next. Utterly compelling from start to finish. I loved the narrative structure, with a short episode from the present, then one from the past, all delivered in the first person, with main character Cathy taking us through the terror that has invaded her life, and what it has reduced her to in the present day - a lonely, fearful woman with OCD, constantly checking the security of her home and limiting her life. It's a chilling portrayal of obsessive destructive love and it's after effects. This is not a book for the faint hearted and I have to warn readers there is quite a bit of profanity in this novel and some people may find that offensive so therefore be warned.

I probably have passed this book in the bookshop numerous times but failed to even pick it up as its cover didn't stand out much and I have to be honest do not judge a book by its cover when you're browsing books as this book has proved. This was picked as a read for our Book Club a couple of months ago and I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel and Elizabeth Hayne's ability to craft such a gripping tale.

This was my first Elizabeth Haynes novel that I've read and it definitely won’t be my last. This novel is very well written in terms of suspense and it really had me gripped from page one. It's prose is simple and the sort of novel you can happily cosy up on the sofa, once you have locked all the doors and windows and know you are going to be in for a cleverly crafted psychological thriller (you've been warned).

Into The Darkest Corner is available on Kindle & in all good bookstores.

No comments :

Post a Comment