Sunday 20 July 2014

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult



"In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can back scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold for family of five.....In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it".
"In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge".

As a huge Jodi Picoult fan & having read many of her books in the past I had been meaning to pick this up so many times to read it that I was only too happy to pick her for when my monthly book choice came around for Book Club. The book is set in a small town of New Hampshire, Sterling where the people were shattered by an act of violence. A violence that no one expected, a massacre that kills ten students and injured nine. The unforgettable event that widens the understanding of every witness that touches and experience of such a violent event.

I found this book quite hard to put down this book because the entire time you're seeking answers. Why? What actually happened? What made it progress to this? Things like that. Things that people asked after the tragedies in Columbine, Virginia Tech & most recently, the Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut amongst all the other school shootings that have happened. The chapters flowed & I couldn't turn the pages quick enough to see how the story developed. Another reason why I loved this book & I felt a connection with it is because I was bullied in Secondary School did bring back some memories of my years in school, however I just have to let the book speak for itself. It's such an amazingly sensitive story, to critique it too much might skew your own opinion going into it. The writing is beautiful, the characters complex and real. That's all I'm going to say, I think you need to find the rest out for yourself.

No comments :

Post a Comment